Things are looking up on the fully automatic, open source, CEB press – The Liberator Beta v2.0.
We finally have the machine ready to run in field tests. The basic operational description is here, from the front:
and from the back:
Some noteworthy features are:
- Full automatic controls usiing Arduino and RepRap components.
- Machine runs from any external, hydraulic power source up to 28 gallons per minute (25-55 hp max)
- Turnkey operation – just turn it on and machine self-calibrates for any power source and brick thickness.
- Brick size easily adjustable from 2 to 4 inches in height by adjusting the placement of a magnet. Brick size – 6″x12″x(2″-4″).
- Machine is reprogrammable for special soil or operating conditions
- 13 bricks per minute shown in the lab to date.
- Machine is designed for disassembly, including hopper, so that it can fit on a 3’x6′ pallet, less than 2′ high.
- Legs are adjustable for uneven terrain, and main cylinder may be lowered below ground level to lower loading height.
- Secondary leg positions allow low footprint for transport – machine can fit in the bed of a 1/2 ton pickup truck
- All off-shelf, readily available components used, for a de facto lifetime warranty of service
- Soil loading drawer rides on self-cleaning v-groove rails, for zero friction operation to extend machine life.
- Main cylinder has adjustment screws so the press plate never touches sides of compression chamber, to extend life.
- Near-zero friction design in the two points above eliminates need of using abrasion lining.
- 6′ by 3′ hopper opening allows loading with a tractor loader. Size is readily extendable by increasing side hopper panels (extra).
- Automatic vibrator – automatic soil sensor detects soil during loading, and activates hopper shaker.
- Safety kill switch is implemented as a rope around the machine – pull on it and power is cut off.
- Machine loads from one side, and bricks are picked up from the other side for workflow and operator safety.
- 12V operation of the electronics powered by any auxiliary battery. Weather tight electrical enclosure.
- Hopper grate eliminates oversize clods and rocks
- 5″ diameter main cylinder and 2.5″ soil-loading drawer cylinder
- Soil-drawer speed is adjustable.
- Weight approximately 1600 lb.
Next is field testing, to be published next.