It is possible to house 5 people for £5000 with domes.
It is possible to feed 10 people for £2100
Geodesic domes can be built easily and cheaply and are the strongest and lightest structure yet conceived. Compared to a rectangular structure of similar size, they have half as much wall-area, which means they lose only half as much heat through the walls. This makes them very energy-efficient. If properly constructed they can resist high winds, large snow loads and even earthquakes.
Housing Costs (for $, multiply Euro by 1.23 - 08/2012 conversion rate)
- 6m diameter x 3m height strawbale dome:
- Double geodesic frame, 2'x1'=£400 ($492)
- Strawbales=£200 ($246)
- Vapour Barrier 60m^2= £50 ($62)
- Damp proof course 60m^2=£50 (62$)
- total=£700 ($861)
- 12m diameter x 6m height strawbale dome:
- Double frame 2'x4'=£800
- strawbales = £350
- vapour barrier= £80
- Damp proof course= £80
Housing Infrastructure cost
- Kitchen and Bathroom=£1300
- Electrical installation=£450
- Gas installation(butane)=£100
- Sewage; waste, drain and vent= £500
- Stove and chimney=£200
- 12v/200Ah battery x3= £615
- 1000w DIY Solar panels 18v x 4A x 14 panels=£200
(needed;wiring costs, bathroom plumbing, electrical fixings, glass for windows and panels)
Geodesic Aquaponics Full System Cost
For a 12m diameter 2000sq^ft dome:
- 1000 linear meters of wood at 60p per meter = 600 pounds
- Second floor mezzanine = 300 pounds
- 8.2m^3 Cement ring foundation and guttering = 500 pounds
- 262m^2 of polythene = 300 pounds
- 2 x 6m x 5m pond liner = 100 pounds
- 10 tons 40mm gravel = 400 pounds
- 1000 carp = 300 pounds or 1000 bream = 888 pounds
- 10 LED growlights = 200 pounds
- Raised and rotating grow beds = 200 pounds
- windmill system = ?
- Miscellaneous piping = 100
- total 3000 pounds
to put this in perspective this system should theoretically produce at least 500 kg of fish per year, 4000 lettuce per week and 4000 bunches of tomatoes per week.
A geodesic dome is built from a skeleton of triangles, covered with an outer skin. The skeleton could be made of wood, steel or other substances, which could probably be digitally fabbed.
- DIY calculator
- Polythene Prefabricated Panel Dome
- Free plans for a geodesic dome
- Useful tool: the dome calculator - calculates the building materials needed to build a dome of your chosen size
- Another dome calculator (the website is in Russian but it can be easily translated with Google Translate).
- Geodesic dome construction video-tutorial: Part 1 - Overview, Part 2 - Hub Construction, Part 3- Strut Construction