See Marcin Jakubowski's TED Talk on the Global Village Construction Set -
Team Culturing Information
last updated January, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Marcin Jakubowski, Polish American
- Location – what is your city and country? - Aptos, California, USA; Kansas City area, Missouri, USA
- Contact Information – opensourceecology at gmail dot com, Skype - marcin_ose
- Introductory Video- see this from August, 2010
- Resume/CV – Marcin Jakubowski Resume - old resume until end of grad school. Since then, I've been a migrant farm worker, self-made industrial designer, and lead developer of the Global Village Construction Set, mostly at Factor e Farm. Latest accomplishment is selection for TED Fellows 2011. See also Marcin Biography
- Hobbies and Pastimes- unicycling, wind surfing, meditation, building my own environment, skiing, ping pong, soccer, cactus cultivation, cultural creation, speaking tours, human awareness, disruptive change, transcendence of the Matrix, evolving to freedom
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
I think that the only way that humanity can transcend its continuing decay of equitable wealth distribution is by endorsing open source economic development. I feel strongly that the last word in economics is open source economics (while addressing issues raised in Radical Abundance). It is called sharing - an old message that no empire has been able to achieve to date. To put it another way - any 'transformative' effort or product that claims to make a fundamental change towards a better world is fooling itself if it is not addressing the issue of wealth distribution - or unless it is promoting Distributive Economics.
- Why are you interested in this work?
I founded Open Source Ecology.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
Yes, we plan on creating a 2 year immersion learning program for Integrated Humans. It should be updated to include augmented reality production training for relocalization.
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?
Yes, economic stability and autonomy are some of the main goals of the GVCS.
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
Yes, I am currently using the tractor, compressed earth brick press, 150 ton hole puncher, heavy duty drill press, and modular power unit in construction, agriculture, fabrication, and utility duties.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
Yes. We are already producing tractors, soil pulverizers, and CEB presses for outside markets.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
Yes, in terms of new prototypes being built towards product release of the remaining GVCS technologies.
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
For me personally, I'd like to dogfood the GVCS first in the first world by building the world's first, authentic, complete, resilient community. I believe in fixing my own backyard first, as I do not know enough about the practical concerns in remote corners of the world.
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
Yes, I would like to see local manufacturing return to the USA.
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
Absolutely. I look forward to a burrito, where I combined the grains and beans, made flour in an open source flour mill, made cheese from the dairy, hayed for the animals, and made salsa from the garden - all in my own community.
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
I left the academic world years ago in search of meaning.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
Yes, if the 'financial investment' refers to the creation of an authentic, resource-based currency.
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
Yes, I believe that free enterprise can replace monopoly money. This can happen by open access to blueprints for best-practice products - which people can manufacture in their own communities via flexible fabrication. Openly-published business models can help others in enterprise startup- from growing apples to building computer apps.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
I would love to see a solar thermal concentrator electric power plant in every community, with some wind and other power sources sprinkled in between.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
Yes, the biggest question in my life is whether it is truly possible to create an abundance village on the scale of 200 people and 200 acres, more or less.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
By relocalization of economies.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
By relocalization of production based on abundant, local resources.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulatoin?
Local economies allow for immediate resource feedbacks. If there is an immediate feedback mechanism regarding resources, then population explosions are less likely to happen. This is under the assumption that poverty is already eliminated.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
If we are using local resources, we will have a motivation to preserve our local environment - as it is our own backyard.
WHAT- Here I am listing mostly the needs of the GVCS development, as I have limited expertise in most of the following items:
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, beind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
Our team at Factor e Farm has to date built 8 prototypes and 1 full product release of the GVCS.
- I am a technical writer, blogger, vlogger, and video editor for the raw footage coming out of Factor e Farm. We need assistance in video editing, blogging, forum management, wiki editing, and CRM management. We also need assistance in creating slide presentations and script for these presentations. We also need a media package and a donor relations package.
- I am involved in organizational development, strategic development, public speaking, networking, and other support roles - to the point that we now need a full support team for these tasks as OSE grows.
- I use Linux, and we now need a CRM platform and Forums to be set up. We are considering augmented reality instructionals for all the tools of the GVCS. We need to define a wiki policy as the numbers of contributors grow. We should eventually create a Linux adaptation specifically suited for the needs of GVCS development, with built-in libraries, graphics, databases, CAD repositories, CAM repositories, CNC controls, augmented reality software, CRM databases, local currency databases and accounting systems, 3D scanning software, and many other supporting tools for creating complete economies based on GVCS capacities.
- We currently need accounting support to accompany our organizational expansion and forthcoming resource development efforts, as well as legal assistance in corporate form for fundraising. We are looking for people with experience in resource development.
- We have begun notes on social contract - publishing early and often at Factor_e_Farm_Social_Contract_v1.0. We need to create a social contract for a 200/200 community (about 200 people on 200 acres).
- I can prepare awesome burritos and some Indian cuisine. I can grow food and recycle all wastes.
- I am a product designer, industrial process designer, but not yet an electronics designer. I am familiar with QCAD.
- I am a custom fabricator, heavy equipment operator, welder, machinist, chainsaw operator, but I have not yet machined gears for hydraulic motors.
Electronics and Magnetics
- I am familiar with introductory conceptual design of power electronic converters, inverters, rectifiers, pulse width modulators, power stages, microcontrollers.
- I have basic conceptual knowledge of precision drive systems.
- I have basic conceptual knowledge of hot metal processing, alloying, and surface treatment.
- I have hands on experience in agricultural engineering, mechanical engineering, robotics and automation, chemical engineering. I have slight awarenesss of materials science, polymer engineering, structural engineering, automotive engineering.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I am organizing a team of 100-200 people for rapid, parallel development of the GVCS, including the organizational infrastructure for funding this development over the next 2 years.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Yes, I can volunteer 70 hours per week.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
I can offer custom fabricator, consulting, speaking, and design services. My hourly rate is $50 per hour.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
I can build it myself.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
I am the Truest of Fans.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
I am using them.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Yes, that is an immediate goal - a functional community by 2014. The GVCS is the foundation.
- See TED Talk:
- See latest video of notice, The Global Village Construction Set in 2 Minutes:
- See article in Grist Magazine
- See Humanity Plus Presentation slides, presented at the 2009 Humanity+ Summit, Irvine, California, December 5, 2009.
- See 12 minute overview presentation on the Global Village Construction Set: